Re: Yet another discussion on improving the first time user experience

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Yet another discussion on improving the first time user experience
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:28:12 -0600

> And some commands that are frequently used, such as {open, save, close
> buffer}, all require multiple keystrokes with the difficult Ctrl key.

This is something of a red herring: the frequency of file commands like
these is negligible compared to the frequency of editing/motion
commands, so it does no harm (aside from breaking some users'
expectations) to have them use longer keys.

Moreover, opening a file can't be faster than picking the file, which
(even with sophisticated completion and filecache and the like) is
slower than C-x C-f by a fair margin.  Saving a file is all but unneeded
in Emacs anyway.

Only `kill-buffer' could really be considered too slow, what with its
extra RET.  I bind a key to `bury-buffer' and tend to use it instead
(mostly for dabbrev).

Davis

shipping.