Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 130, Issue 82

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 130, Issue 82
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:10:53 +0300

> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 06:49:45 +0800
> From: Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >    2013-09-26  Xue Fuqiao  <address@hidden>
> >
> >   +     * dired.texi (Flagging Many Files): Use @emph instead of @strong.
> >
> > Why?  What's wrong with @strong in this case?
>
> In (info "(texinfo) @emph @strong"):

>      *Caution*: 'rm * .[^.]*' removes _all_ normal files.
>
>   The '@strong' command is seldom used except to mark what is, in
> effect, a typographical element, such as the word 'Caution' in the
> preceding example.
>
> So I think @strong should be used to mark something like "Caution:",
> "Warning:", "Please notice:", "Please note:", "Reassurance:",
> "Important:", "Usage note:", etc.

This is a purely stylistic issue.  The quoted passage from the Texinfo
manual just says that @strong is seldom used, it does not say "do not
use it except in the following situations".  Please do not make any
changes that are stylistic in nature, because style preferences are
deeply personal, and we don't want to start arguments over personal
preferences.