RE: Changes in revision 114466

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: Changes in revision 114466
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:29:53 +0900

Drew Adams writes:

 >>> But users are not necessarily aware of [info-lookup-symbol].
 >>
 >> Isn't that what should be fixed, then?
 >
 > 1) How?

Bind C-h f and C-h v (which pretty much everybody knows and uses, I
guess) to a command that offers a menu of ways to get help on a symbol
(as a variable vs. as a function, docstring vs. manual).  Put it under
control of the old-and-cranky library (an as-yet-nonexistent novice-
like module that puts the traditional binding back when the user
invokes the command M-x im-old-and-cranky-so-put-the-binding-back).

 > 2) It's still good to provide a visual cue that a given term
 > is in the manual.

*Everything* "should" be in the manual.  It shouldn't be possible to
find a place to click in a help buffer that doesn't find offer useful
new information, IMHO.  Yes, I acknowledge that both "everything in
the manual" and "no place left to click" are hard tasks. ;-)  But
shouldn't that be our goal?

 > Maybe use that for any link (e.g. source file target) that leaves
 > *Help*?

As long as you stay in Emacs, why would one care?  C-x b *Help* RET is
hardly onerous, and if it is inconvenient, we could provide a global
C-h binding for "help-back-to-last-help".

 > Doing it automatically is no doubt easier, not harder, than doing it
 > using judgment case by case.

In that case, the prosecution rests. :-)