Re: [emacs-leuven-theme] diff-index foreground (#2bis)

From: Fabrice Niessen
Subject: Re: [emacs-leuven-theme] diff-index foreground (#2bis)
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:56:00 +0200

Hello Dmitry,

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 27.09.2013 17:16, Fabrice Niessen wrote:
>
>> While thinking at it, even if there are still improvements which can be made
>> (and which I will try to do) to leuven-theme.el, could you commit the current
>> version into Emacs trunk?  Thanks a lot!
>
> Sure, no problem, but please keep emacs-devel in Cc, since this kind of
> discussion belongs there.

OK. There it is.

> Could you explain the following additions:
>
> - "Version:" header, apparently carrying the date of the commit.

The "Version:" header contains the date (and time) of the last `save-file'
operation...

> - time-stamp-* local variables at the bottom of the file.

... *thanks to* the local variables:

  ╭────
  │ ;; Local Variables:
  │ ;; time-stamp-format: "%:y%02m%02d.%02H%02M"
  │ ;; time-stamp-start: "Version: "
  │ ;; time-stamp-end: "$"
  │ ;; End:
  ╰────

This instructs the time-stamp package to update the "Version:" time stamp every
time you save the buffer ("last change"), if you have the following in your
`.emacs' config file:

  (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'time-stamp)

> Melpa does not use the version header (just sets the version to the time of
> the
> last commit), and the time-stamp vars just seem useless to me.
>
> Shall I remove both of these additions before checking in the new version?

This version number seems useful to me, to always know when different versions
have been saved, even outside of any VC system.

May I ask to leave them, if possible?

Best regards,
Fabrice

--