Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114483: * term/ns-win.el (ns-initialize-window-

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114483: * term/ns-win.el (ns-initialize-window-system): Set locale-coding-system
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 08:29:56 +0200

Hello.

2 okt 2013 kl. 02:43 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

>> No they should not IMHO.  As they must be started from a teminal, LANG is
>> either correct or set to another value for some purpose.
>
> IIUC the encoding used under Darwin for filenames is always utf-8.
> More to the point it uses NFD canonicalization, performed by the OS when
> needed; so pretending these are "byte sequences" that can use any
> encoding you feel like, as is the case in POSIX, is not an option.

As pointed out, how about remote mounts?  I don't know.

> I guess it's OK to obey the user who wants to shot himself in the foot.
> But I do wonder: is LANG really always set in a terminal?  IF so, why
> and by whom?  Will LANG also be set properly if you use some other
> terminal than Terminal.app (e.g. let's say you run `emacs -nw' inside
> an Emacs.app started from the GUI)?

It is Terminal.app that sets it based on system settings for language.
For other emulators, I don't know.  I don't know of any other emulators BTW.
For emacs -nw inside emacs started from GUI, LANG will not be set.

But that goes for many X11 setups as well. If LANG is set in /etc/profile or
~/.profile, it won't be set if you start Emacs from a panel and the parent
session manager has not LANG set.

        Jan D.