Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: bad epg.el+GPG2 behavior: unavoidable passphrase pinentry prompt
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 09:59:38 -0400

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:52:46 +0900 Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> wrote:

DU> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> See my earlier e-mails.  But my bigger concern is that for many users, a
>> new GnuPG release is years in the future, so even if you justify this
>> change, it won't help anyone quickly.  IMHO epg.el should work around
>> this "feature" now with the --batch --passphrase-fd options that I
>> mentioned, especially if they can work on all GnuPG versions (I haven't
>> tested that).

DU> Well, that's a design decision not to use --batch here (and probably in
DU> GPGME).  If it used --batch, epg.el would need to know a passphrase even
DU> if it is not needed (for example, it is already cached in gpg-agent,
DU> encrypted with empty passphrase, etc.)  And also it would inhibit gpg
DU> from doing other user queries until the gpg command terminates.

OK, so there's no way to avoid the broken behavior in epg.el and any
fixes on the GnuPG side have to wait until a new release (and someone,
possibly you, has to ask Werner for that fix).  Is that accurate?  It
means we should recommend to Emacs users to use GnuPG 1.x if they want
symmetric encryption to be usable (especially caching the passphrase).

>> My question now, since we understand the problem well, is if you agree
>> with this plan, and if so, do you need patches from me or other
>> contributors, or will you address it yourself?  There's no urgency
>> implied here; I am simply trying to fix this for our users by the next
>> Emacs release.

DU> Please don't.

Don't what?  I asked several questions but am clearly waiting for your guidance.

Ted