Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114533: Revert 114527

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114533: Revert 114527
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 22:02:08 +0300

> Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 21:52:14 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 05.10.2013 21:43, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> `last-coding-system-used' is unreliable: it can be modified by other
> >> functions in `after-save-hook'.
> >
> > Indeed.  Why not use buffer-file-coding-system?
>
> Because its value doesn't change (from the initial `undecided-unix')
> even after the buffer is saved with new, non-ASCII characters.

Didn't Emacs asked you to select an encoding when you saved?  Also,
what were the non-ASCII characters, and what is your
default-buffer-file-coding-system?

> So far I've decided to use `select-safe-coding-system-function', but it
> just adds to the mess:

Please describe the issue from the beginning, I cannot find it in the
mailing list archives.  It's hard to judge the solution without
knowing the details of the problem.