Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114533: Revert 114527

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114533: Revert 114527
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 22:38:36 +0300

> Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 22:16:36 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> If I kill the buffer, then open the file again,
> buffer-file-coding-system is now utf-8-unix. If I make a modification
> and save the buffer now, the first line is changed to the correct `# -*-
> coding: utf-8 -*-'.

"Changed"?  You mean, there was an existing coding: cookie in the file
before you typed the cyrillic characters?  If so, what did that
original coding cookie say?

Also, do you see the same behavior with Emacs 24.3?

I think it is OK to silently save the buffer with UTF-8, if that's
your default, but the value of buffer-file-coding-system should in
that case change to UTF-8.