Re: DSO-style FFI

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: DSO-style FFI
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 11:32:13 -0600

Stefan> Well, it doesn't exist for Emacs, so you won't be able to use until you
Stefan> write it.  AFAIK it's been usable for a decade in XEmacs.

This approach seems very weird to me.
I don't understand why it is preferable to a libffi-based FFI.
The main difficulty I see is that now you're either promising an
internal Emacs ABI -- hard to do -- or you're requiring recompilations
whenever Emacs changes -- hard on users.

Stefan> One issue will be compatibility of various kinds of dl_open
Stefan> mechanisms on various OSes, but you should find lots of help for
Stefan> that here, so the first version can focus on supporting only
Stefan> GNU/Linux.

GNU already has libltdl.

Tom