Re: run/load a lisp script before user init file

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: run/load a lisp script before user init file
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:56:36 +0900

Tom Tromey writes:

 > FWIW a long term goal I had for package.el was to have it also manage
 > site-lisp.

XEmacs has had an option to have no site-lisp for more than 10 years,
and it's become default several years ago.

The preferred alternative is to put your code in
.../site-packages/my-stuff/library.el, decorate entry points with
autoload cookies, add a simple Makefile and package-info.in (mostly
complete skeletons provided for easy cases), and run make; make
bindist.

 > Distros could easily take advantage of this by ensuring that elisp
 > installed into site-lisp follows the package.el installation rules.
 > This is easy to do...

Social engineering-wise, we didn't find it so.  That's why we changed
the name when we changed the interface.