Re: Drop-down menus, popup menus, and popup dialogs supported on TTYs

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Drop-down menus, popup menus, and popup dialogs supported on TTYs
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 23:26:22 +0200

Hi Eli, Emacs developers,
* Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [09. Oct. 2013]:
>> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 19:56:47 +0200
>> From: Gregor Zattler <address@hidden>
>>
>> (menu-bar-mode 0)
>> (if (not (string-match "dumb" (getenv "TERM")))
>
> Why do you need this test?

I put it there because I also use my init.el for starting emacs
from cron jobs and did nit want to interfere there.  But now I
realise that

latest Emacs assumes TERM to be "dumb" if startet in a terminal
like this:

src/Emacs -Q -nw --debug-init

(getenv "TERM") then returns "dumb".  Is this a bug?

Anyway:
>>     (global-set-key (kbd "<f10>")
>>                  (lambda ()
>>                    "open/close menu-bar"
>>                    (interactive)
>>                    (if menu-bar-mode
>>                        (menu-bar-mode 0)
>>                      (progn (menu-bar-mode 1) (menu-bar-open))))))
>>
>> It would be nice if something like this worked on TTYs with real menus.
>
> Doesn't it work with the current trunk?  I see no reason that it
> shouldn't.

It's really nice!  One remark I have is that hitting F10 should
IMHO close the menu if no menu entry was selected up to this
point.  Instead one has to hit ESC (which is also fine but should
not be the only way of leaving the menu).  This is a real
improvement especially for the menu of printing package.

Another remark: The headings of the menus end in ">".  First I
thought this indicates that arrow right goes to the next menu, but
there are no "<" signs.  On the other hand menu entries which
lead to sub menus also end in a ">" while here one has to hit
"RETURN" in order to go to the sub menu.  This is a bit
confusing.  Perhaps arrow right should also lead to the submenu?

And finally: I did not find a way from the sub menu back to the
main menu besides hitting arrow right (which goes to the next
main menu) and then arrow left.  Perhaps some lynx stype
navigation would improve this?

But these are minor nitpicks.  The new menu on terminals is a
great improvement.  Actually I did not use the printing packages
for its clumsy interface on terminals...

I also tested it on the console.  Works the same.

Thank you very much, Gregor
--