Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114593: * lisp.h (eassert): Don't use 'assume'.

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114593: * lisp.h (eassert): Don't use 'assume'.
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 08:41:56 -0700

On 10/11/13 8:22 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
This is a simple case.  In other, more complicated cases, it
wasn't clear to me that the code with 'assume (COND)' was
faster -- it could be slower, as far as I could see, even
when COND was obviously side-effect free.  I worry that at
least some of these cases reflect optimization glitches in
GCC, but perhaps in the long run these glitches will get
fixed.

Do you have a particular case that concerns you, or an example of one of these optimizer glitches? I haven't seen a single instance of a correct, side-effect-free assume resulting in incorrect code generation.