Re: HTML mail in rmail

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: HTML mail in rmail
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 10:36:23 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > I have a simple macro to save the HTML into a file.
 > Then I run lynx in a different terminal.

lynx (also links, w3m, etc IIRC) has a filter mode[1]:

(defun mua-tame-html (start end)
  (shell-command-on-region start end
    ;; add options to taste, these (used to) do pretty well IM(now old)E
    "lynx -force_html -dump -stdin -width 72"
    nil 'replace))

Footnotes:
[1]  Some of them don't know how to read from stdin so you need a
temporary file.  Also, whether you prefer to read such mail in RMail
or in a separate browser is a matter of taste and of the need for
browser features when reading.