Re: Drop-down menus, popup menus, and popup dialogs supported on TTYs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Drop-down menus, popup menus, and popup dialogs supported on TTYs
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 10:24:19 +0300

> Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:49:42 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden>
>
> What we (you and I) want is Gregor Zattler suggested at [1].  However,
> I didn't installed it to the official tree because, it is not my patch
> and the expect behavior of on-demand drop-down menu is not discussed
> enough. As far as reading your post you may have much detailed but
> important requests about the behavior.

Indeed, no one responded to Gregor's suggestion, wrt whether this
should be the default Emacs behavior.

> Eli, in my interpretation, you don't object to introduce on-demand
> drop-down menu. However, you yourself doen't want it. Right?

I always run with the menu bar enabled, so I wouldn't know what are
the expectations of people who do otherwise.  I don't object to
dropping menus by F10 even if the menu bar is not shown, provided it
is done for GUI sessions as well, for consistency, not just for
text-mode sessions.  Note that, at least for the TTY case, this
_requires_ to enable menu-bar-mode first, and disable it after the
user selects a menu item.