Re: APL mode

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: APL mode
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 21:39:24 +0530

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What does sexp mean for non-lisp languages like C etc?
>> (Needed for functions like forward-sexp)
>
> It means "a subtree in the abstract syntax tree".

In principle, that's fine. However in practice there are things like
a. comments which do not exist in the AST
b. preprocessor commands that appear and disappear before ASTs are on the scene
c. (most important) emacs doesnt really do a full-scale context free grammar analysis does it?

So I guess I am asking: Emacs uses regular exps to fudge a semblance of context free structure. How does it do this?

Rusi
--
http://www.the-magus.in
http://blog.languager.org