Re: Setting the value of `emacs-bzr-version' also from a git checkout

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Setting the value of `emacs-bzr-version' also from a git checkout
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 23:25:25 +0200

> That's because they don't understand the implications. The usefulness of
> including version info on bug reports (something that IIRC is done
> automatically, so there is no need to show the info on screenshots, etc)
> is to pinpoint the sources used for the build.

Yes, but note that the bzr revision numbers have an advantage over the
revision IDs: they are numeric, so you can easily tell whether a given
revno is newer or older that another one.

So, for example if you know that one bug was fixed in revno 100200,
and you see one user reporting a similar bug with revno 100150, you
_immediately_ know that this user is running an older version which
does not include the bug fix.

But I also understand what you say: The revnos are ambiguous when you
don't specify the branch they come from.

In any case, what I'm trying to do here is simply making
"emacs-bzr-version" give the same info (i.e. both the revno and the
revid) from a binary made from either bzr-trunk or its official git
counterpart (savannah's git mirror).

--
Dani Moncayo