Re: electric-indent-mode: abolition of `newline' function is not the Rig

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: electric-indent-mode: abolition of `newline' function is not the Right Thing.
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:09:31 +0000

'morning, Stefan!

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 09:23:49AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I discovered this whilst trying `electric-indent-mode' in Text Mode.
> > I have a command which starts a new paragraph thusly:
> > (i) It calls `newline' and inserts, e.g. "(vi) ".

> Use (insert "\n") rather than (newline).

:-)  Of course there are workarounds, but that's not the point.  There
are approximately 198 calls to `newline' in the Emacs Lisp sources, and
an unknown further number in other Lisp files and users' .emacsen.  Some
of these calls are going to get broken by the effective change to
`newline'.

Redefining `newline' as `newline-and-indent' whilst
`electric-indent-mode' is active is not the Right Thing to do.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).