Re: APL mode

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: APL mode
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:38:49 +0530

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Rustom Mody <address@hidden> wrote:
>> F8 and F9 are made to be like dead-keys by making them emacs prefix keys.
>
> FYI in (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions"):
>
>    * Function keys <F5> through <F9> without modifier keys are also
>      reserved for users to define.
>
>    * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by a control character or a
>      digit are reserved for major modes.
>
>    * Sequences consisting of `C-c' followed by `{', `}', `<', `>', `:'
>      or `;' are also reserved for major modes.

Thanks Xue and Rüdiger

So we can change
(setq apl-map1 (make-sparse-keymap))
(define-key apl-mode-map (kbd "<f8>") apl-map1)
(setq apl-map2 (make-sparse-keymap))
(define-key apl-mode-map (kbd "<f9>") apl-map2)

(setq apl-map1 (make-sparse-keymap))
(define-key apl-mode-map (kbd "C-c 1") apl-map1)
(setq apl-map2 (make-sparse-keymap))
(define-key apl-mode-map (kbd "C-c 2") apl-map2)

In fact I dont think that either is very convenient anyway.
Ideally it should be a modifier key like AltGr or WinMenu(?).
Something that will be minimally intrusive on rest of emacs and rest
of X and be reasonably portable.

However I could not wrap my head round xmodmap so consider this as an
interim emacsy solution.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Rüdiger Sonderfeld
<address@hidden> wrote:
> F8/F9 might be a bad choice because they are user keys.  But overall you
> approach seems like a good idea.  APL programmers are certainly likely to use
> the keyboard approach.  I personally prefer the quail input method though.
> But then again I use M-x quite often in Emacs as well instead of keybindings.

How does that work??

Ive used quail like so:
(quail-defrule ".." ?॥)
(quail-defrule "." ?।)

for entering sanskrit text (those two characters are two kinds of
'full-stops' in sanskrit)  But then you cant enter a normal English
fullstop.
This is fine for entirely sanskrit texts.

However here we need the w key to generate sometimes plain ol w ,
sometimes ⍵ sometimes ⌽ .  So some kind of modedness is inevitably
required no??

Rusi

--
http://blog.languager.org