Re: APL mode

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: APL mode
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 19:54:46 +0100

On 14/10/13 12:08, Rustom Mody wrote:

However here we need the w key to generate sometimes plain ol w ,
sometimes ⍵ sometimes ⌽ .  So some kind of modedness is inevitably
required no??

Well, C-\ quickly toggles the last input method on and off. It's not entirely unusable, bit like "sticky keys".

But maybe a good alternative is a prefix or postfix character. See attached stab at input methods I just threw together.

They work a bit differently to Rüdiger's: these just follow gnu apl 1.0's documented keyboard layout in particular, whereas Rüdiger's are more logical/semantic (i.e. his say 'pick' -> ⊃, not '/x' -> ⊃). If you want to run with them, feel free, anyway.

I chose '/' for a prefix/postfix with the vague rationale other input methods such as latin-* seemed to use it a lot for miscellaneous symbols, although OTOH apl code itself uses '/' quite a lot (reduce...).
Could just use another prefix/postfix, but some are more awkward than
others, particularly on non-US keyboards.

With a "M-x comint-run apl" and a "C-x RET C-\ apl-kb-prefix" they're ...actually not bad for interactive use.

(P.S. beware you may want to build gnu apl without color for now if
doing that - its color support apparently isn't adaptive currently. Took me far too long to work out that my first build was working, just showing black-on-black...)