Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:32:16 +0300

> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:55:45 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  > Also, it might be worthwhile to try this in GDB, after starting Emacs:
>  >
>  >   (gdb) attach EMACS-PID
>  >   (gdb) break update_frame_1
>  >   (gdb) commands
>  >    > bt
>  >    > continue
>  >    > end
>  >   (gdb) continue
>  >
>  > Now open the menu and do whatever you do to trigger the problem.
>
> I can't trigger the problem when I do that :-(

What, you mean neither of the display corruptions happen with the
above breakpoint active?  Then it sounds like we have some timing or
race condition problems, and debugging this will be very hard indeed.

> With the modified term.c I always get
>
> Lisp Backtrace:
> "x-popup-menu" (0xa92fa170)
> "popup-menu" (0xa92fa6c0)
> "menu-bar-open" (0xa92fac20)
> "call-interactively" (0xa92faf60)
> "command-execute" (0xa92fb4b8)
>

> With term.c unmodified I alternately get
>
> Lisp Backtrace:
> "x-popup-menu" (0x617c0ba0)
> "popup-menu" (0x617c10f0)
> "menu-bar-open" (0x617c1650)
> "call-interactively" (0x617c1990)
> "command-execute" (0x617c1ee8)
>
> and
>
> Lisp Backtrace:
> "message" (0x617bf970)
> "tooltip-show-help-non-mode" (0x617bfeb0)
> "tooltip-show-help" (0x617c03e8)
> "x-popup-menu" (0x617c0ba0)
> "popup-menu" (0x617c10f0)
> "menu-bar-open" (0x617c1650)
> "call-interactively" (0x617c1990)
> "command-execute" (0x617c1ee8)

These are the expected results.  So the problem is not here...

Let's try to see the problem from the other end.  Please do:

  M-x open-termscript RET SOME-FILE RET

then hit F10, type C-n and/or C-p several times, make sure the problem
happens, then exit Emacs and then post SOME-FILE.

(Btw, this warrants a bug filed long ago.  So please do, and let's
continue there.)