Re: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:57:51 +0000

Hi, Stephen.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 08:17:01AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie writes:
>  > On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:34:56PM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:

>  > > I've been talking about the command run by RET

> Which is easy enough to change.

>  > I might agree with you, at least for programming modes.  I'm not so sure
>  > about things like Text Mode.

> I suspect I would find it really annoying, by analogy with the overly
> aggressive quote-prefixing that is done by `filladapt'.

>  > But there must also be a ready way of doing what RET currently
>  > does, inserting a new line without indenting it.

> You're enabling the confusaholics.  If the user doesn't like what RET
> does, the the user can bind it to a different function (or, more
> likely, invoke a mode that does that for her and perhaps customize the
> mode).  Despite the subject, the interesting issue is "what should
> `newline' do when invoked from code?"

Indeed, that was in the title of the original post in the thread.  But
you seem to have misunderstood the situation: the current
electric-indent-mode effectively transforms `newline' into
`newline-and-indent', leaving no command for the user who doesn't like
this to bind RET to.

> The traditional docstring says that it moves to the left margin and
> handles auto-filling.  Eli's suggestion of `(insert "\n")' doesn't do
> that, and it's not what `newline' does when corrupted by
> `electric-shock-mode'.  But I think it's useful behavior, and I think
> programs should be able to rely on it (as opposed to users who can
> modify the behavior of `One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoos-Nest-mode' by
> removing ?\n, or not invoke the mode in the first place).

Yes.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).