Re: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:03:20 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:47:04PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > The traditional docstring says that it moves to the left margin and
> > handles auto-filling.  Eli's suggestion of `(insert "\n")' doesn't do
> > that, and it's not what `newline' does when corrupted by
> > `electric-shock-mode'.  But I think it's useful behavior, and I think
> > programs should be able to rely on it (as opposed to users who can
> > modify the behavior of `One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckoos-Nest-mode' by
> > removing ?\n, or not invoke the mode in the first place).

> I can't remember ever seeing a piece of code which wants "the Emacs-23
> newline behavior".  Usually it either wants to (insert "\n") or it wants
> to simulate hitting RET.

I gave an example of such code in the post which opened this thread.  To
recap:

(newline)
(insert "(vi)")
(fill-paragraph)

The `-and-indent' behaviour messes up the indentation of "(vi)" and
causes it to get re-attached to the previous paragraph.

> This discussion would benefit from actual examples of code that
> fall into neither "do whatever RET does" nor "insert \n".

See above.  Any code which is interested in filling (or, possibly, even
margins, if anything actually uses these) will get broken by the
`-and-indent'.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).