Re: Huge {...} blocks in C/C++ again

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Huge {...} blocks in C/C++ again
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:18:35 +0000

Hi, Dmitry.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 08:57:53PM +0400, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
> An issue from:

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-12/msg00483.html

> is exactly reproduced on this header from LLVM project, most probably
> due to huge

I'm not convinced about that "most probably".  ;-)

> #ifdef __cplusplus
> extern "C" {
> #endif

> /* a lot of things */

> #ifdef __cplusplus
> }  // extern "C"
> #endif

> block -  a lot of things between top-level { and } hangs everything,
> without a chance to quit with C-g.

> To reproduce, just do 'emacs -Q linux_syscall_hooks.h' and scroll ~1/2 of
> buffer.

First investigative results: the problem occurs only with the CC Mode
embedded in Emacs.  With the standalone CC Mode (available at
<http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/release.php>) the file works without
problems.

I've run ELP on the scrolling, and there seems to be a well defined call
stack causing the problem, with c-syntactic-skip-backwards being where
it's hanging.

I'll see if I can debug this over the weekend.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).