Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 17:57:40 +0300

> Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:57:46 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
>  >> The behavior differs when I set `resize-mini-windows' to nil or t or
>  >> when I set `max-mini-window-height' to 1.  The terminal emulator does
>  >> not know about these.  How does that fit in here?
>  >
>  > We write different stuff in each case, obviously.
>
> We?  Why?  In term.c you've bound `resize-mini-windows' to nil.

But you reported that it didn't work, somehow.  So it doesn't have the
same effect as setting the variable manually, evidently.  (And that
change isn't installed, so only you have it in your sources.)

>  > I suspect different
>  > cursor motion commands.  If you want to analyze these more precisely,
>  > produce 3 termscripts where the keyboard commands were exactly the
>  > same, then using Diff might show the differences.
>
> Too difficult :-(

Why is that?  You just need to count down- and up-arrow keystrokes.
Or am I missing something?

Anyway, I'm out of ideas, so please try that, and maybe we will have a
lead.

> But couldn't, in the original scenario, Emacs redisplay (which BTW
> seems to redraw the modeline too) garble the display (and termscript
> doesn't see that)?

Termscript is supposed to show everything we write to the terminal, so
I don't expect this to be possible.  Unless, that is, there's a bug,
and we don't double on the termscript some of the stuff we write to
the terminal.

Anyway, I certainly hope we don't redisplay the mode line, as that
could very easily screw up the menus (which overwrite it).

Which reminds me: if you increase the height of that terminal window,
such that the longest menu fits in its entirety without reaching the
mode line, does the problem still happen?