Re: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 15:00:51 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 06:20:24PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> but also possibly quite low.
> > Just how low does it have to be before we can ignore it?

> That was not the question.

> Anyway, it does look like there are indeed many incorrect uses of
> newline (most of those (or (bolp) (newline)) will break sooner or later
> because of unexpected filling and/or abbrev/skeleton expansion).

We don't know that the filling, etc., is unexpected.  The crucial point
is that all these secondary actions of `newline' happen on the _previous_
line, leaving the main point of newline: "Insert a newline, and move to
left margin of the new line ...." unaffected.

> So I installed a patch which makes `newline' only run
> post-self-insert-hook when called interactively, so as to try and
> preserve compatibility with those dubious uses.

Thanks.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).