RE: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 20:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

> The days when keyboards had an LFD key that produced C-j are long
> gone.  Nowadays, keyboards have only the RET key, and users expect
> it to indent in programming modes, at least by default.  As things
> are now, I need to customize every programming mode I use to do that.

You do?  You can't use `C-j'?  Are you bemoaning the disappearance
of a key that did the same thing key `C-j' does?  And yet you feel
you need to make `RET' do that?  Not so clear.

If you still had a `LFD' key would you nevertheless feel the "need to
customize every programming mode I use" to make `RET' do what `LFD'
did?

And which users are you talking about, who have this expectation?
Emacs users?