Re: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 00:04:32 +0400

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> I want a key that is easily reached and that
>> performs newline-and-indent.  Every modern IDE does that.
>
> Emacs does that too, with `C-j'.  Easily reached by most, I think.

Every IDE does that when the user presses RET.

> But any user is free to bind some other key for this.  If one finds
> `<f9>' or `<kp-enter>' (or even `RET') better, then it's easy enough
> to substitute it.

Yes, we've heard this argument loads of times already. Then'll also be
able to rebind RET back to `newline', or disable `electric-indent-mode',
or whatever. The question is what would be the sane default.

> Sorry, I'm with Richard on this one.  You seem to be viewing a local
> mole hill (if even that) from a foreign vantage point and seeing a
> mountain.

You seem to be under impression that Eli is somehow new to using Emacs.

> `C-j' is a good choice for Emacs, here.  Let's keep `RET'
> for what it does and `C-j' for what it does.

I really have to wonder when anyone would wish to use RET bound to
newline. Why? Does some popular major mode provide inadequate
indentation function, so that you have to pick whether to indent the
next line automatically or not?