Re: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 17:33:26 +0530

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Jarek Czekalski  wrote:
> A small non-counting voice on the RET behaviour from Emacs newbie:

As a newbie (to this list though not emacs) myself, I tend to agree
myself. Just remember that when you say:

> So more generally I would stick to the following rule: do everything like
> others do, unless there are serious reasons to do it differently.

Do you realize that "doing everything like others do" may require
heavy-duty rewrites?  Someone has to do that. That someone should be
motivated.

As a personal example, I am trying to put together something that will
make APL usable under emacs.  The code will at most be a few hundred
lines of elisp and maybe a few dozen of xmodmap if I can wrap my head
round that (if I do manage it).  If the expected scale was a hundred
thousand lines (or more), I would not even think about it.

So
1. Demands for change are good; just have a sense of the scale
2. Personally I would wish emacs to be more 'modern' -- yeah thats a
vague wishy-washy statement :-)

Rusi
--
http://www.the-magus.in