Re: Request: Use message instead of message_with_string for user visible

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Request: Use message instead of message_with_string for user visible output?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:41:19 -0400

> Except in cases where efficiency is the reason for the choice,
> could we switch to using message -- instead of
> message_with_string to produce output in the echo area that is
>  to be seen by the user?

I doubt there is a place where we call message_with_string for
efficiency reasons: the added cost of going through Ffuncall of Qmessage
is negligible compared to the cost of doing the actual display of
the message.

But there might be cases where we need it for correctness reasons,
because the context is such that we can't run arbitrary Elisp code.

        Stefan