Re: Request: Use message instead of message_with_string for user visible

From: Jarek Czekalski
Subject: Re: Request: Use message instead of message_with_string for user visible output?
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:04:58 +0100

W dniu 2013-10-27 23:07, T.V. Raman pisze:
My personal preference
would be to not  to muck with command-error-function -- I played
with it a bit last week -- it feels like too heavy a hammer, and
at the end of the day might also produce too much output.

Raman, in this thread [1] we are given green light to improve command-error-function. Could you provide an example of the operation, that would be handled badly by command-error-function? For me it seems to be the best solution. For example it delivers "read only" message properly.

Further, if "key undefined" was also populated as an error-message, it would not require special handling by Emacspeak. This is all a song of the future (Emacs 25), but why not having a good plan?

By now you could start using command-error-function as if it was our private variable, later it would be made better accessible for packages and then we would adjust to new standards.

Jarek

[1] http://emacs.1067599.n5.nabble.com/command-error-function-default-handler-tp300931.html