Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:55:24 +0100

2013/10/29 Nathan Trapuzzano <address@hidden>:
> Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Do you think a bug report on changing the value of "$EMACS" or
>> "$INSIDE_EMACS" from "t" to the path of the running Emacs would stand
>> a chance?
>
> I'm not the one to ask, but I suspect it could be easily done and
> therefore would have a good chance of being accepted.  A more reasonable
> proposal would be to have emacs set a third environment variable to the
> path in the way I suggested above.  That way, the other two could retain
> their meaning.

I'll think of it, then.  A 3rd, independent variable is probably the
best idea here.

> However, given what you have said, I don't see how that would solve your
> problem.  You'd have to wait for the feature to be accepted and
> implemented, then for it to be released, and then, finally, for your
> users to upgrade.

Well, as I myself use Emacs trunk, it would solve *my* problem
immediately :)  Of course, it would not solve my users' problem right
now, but at least it would do so in the foreseeable future, when Emacs
24.4 is released.  That's still better than nothing, isn't it?