Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:04:08 +0100

2013/10/29 Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>:
> Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But since you will insist:  I want to interact with the running Emacs,
>> obviously.  More precisely, in my "build" script I want to evaluate
>> some expressions, and probably a complete Emacs Lisp script.
>
> That's what emacsclient is for.

That makes no difference, it just shifts the problem from finding the
right Emacs to finding the right "emacsclient".  You can't (easily)
use a v22 "emacsclient" to talk to a v24 Emacs, so I would still need
to find the path to the running Emacs, in order to use its
corresponding "emacsclient".

Besides, I deliberately don't want to use "emacsclient", because I do
not want my build script to depend on the users customizations or
block (in case of long-running expressions) block the running Emacs
instance.

I see that my statement was ambiguous, which I apologize for.  To
clarify, I do not actually intend to talk to the running Emacs
process.  I merely want to use the same Emacs *executable* as the
running process.