Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Compile Mode and "host" Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:25:07 +0100

2013/10/29 Nathan Trapuzzano <address@hidden>:
> Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If Compile Mode was now changed to set a variable, lets call it
>> "EMACS_PATH" for now, I myself would not need to do anything, and my
>> users would just need to add this variable to their "init.el"
>> temporarily, until 24.4 is released.
>
> Sorry, I don't follow.  If asking your users to temporarily add
> something to their initialization files is an option, why not:
>
> (setenv "EMACS_EXE_PATH"
>         (file-truename (concat (file-name-as-directory
>                                  invocation-directory)
>                                  invocation-name)))

See, I can ask them, or better, "advise" them, but I can't actually
rely upon them, can I?  There is still a chance that the user lacks
this setting, or (even worse) has it wrong, isn't there?

If Emacs set "EMACS_EXE_PATH" for me, I would not need to advise my
users to change their "init.el" (at least in foreseeable future), and
there is little chance that things can go wrong.

Surely, it is not essential, but it is *a lot* more convenient, if
Emacs just got things right here :)