Re: [SPAM] Re: Rectangular regions

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: Rectangular regions
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 20:26:13 +0530

> why regions beat rectangles.

> The point is that Emacsspeak is an inherently linear medium

Rectangles are but table-cells - either belonging to table.el table or
Org tables.  Operations on a horizontal stack (a row) or a vertical
stack (a column) are indeed operations that happen on a "set of
rectangles".

Out of curiosity, how would Emacsspeak users mark a rectangle or
traverse among those.  Do they never use tables at all?

One rectangle operation that would be useful is the ability to do an M-q
on a table-cell and have it filled horizontally and expanded
automatically.  This is an useful feature to have for tables in general.
I would like these operations supported in Emacs core rather than
peripheral libraries.  (If you look at initial comments on table.el, the
impression I get is that it is a "mini"-display engine.)