Re: Apropos emacs-intl-fonts & https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHebrew

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Apropos emacs-intl-fonts & https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHebrew
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:03:00 +0100

>> "Jambunathan" == Jambunathan K <Jambunathan> writes:

   > Thanks for reading through the wiki page.

   > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   >> You mean, like this:
   >>
   >> | שלום  | דוד   |
   >> | ‏Hello | David |

   > Not that.

   > What I see differs from what Uwe said he wanted.  See the attached
   > screenshots.  The "other" screenshot is from LibreOffice.  I cannot read
   > Hebrew so I have no idea what is Hello or what is David.

May be I should try to clarify what I meant. (For some bizarre reason I
can't make gnu emacs 24 work with my gnus setting and that is why I have
to use Xemacs 21.5, which has no bidi support, I hope that the hebrew
text goes through without trouble.

What I have in mind is a interline translation.

So first comes a line in Hebrew and then the next line comes in English,
where however the words are displayed l2r, but the order of the words is
r2l.

This can be achieved in OO.

It can be achieved in org mode, without using tables.
Writing this, and exporting it to odt
שלום דוד.
david hello

Works nicely.

Writing the same in tables and exporting

| שלום  | דוד   |
| david | hello |

Does not work, since the in the first hebrew line, the letters are
correctly displayed r2l, but the words are displayed l2r.

Uwe Brauer