Re: Annoying (frameset bug?): desktop-mode and maxmized frame

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Annoying (frameset bug?): desktop-mode and maxmized frame
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:50:20 +0900

Jambunathan K writes:

 > > but if you have a patch that makes things work better, I'm all ears.
 >
 > IME, this is a polite way of saying STFU.

That's rude and unjustified, unless you are very experienced in
dealing with the foibles of X Window System window managers.

I haven't dealt with Emacs's code, but I have worked with XEmacs as
well as a number of toy examples, and I assure you that negotiation
with the WM is as complex as Juanma says.  I would even go so far as
to say "inherently so", because WMs are concurrent processes
performing complex negotiations where the app and the WM are apt to
disagree about assignment of responsibility for handling the many edge
cases.

IOW, when Juanma says "unless you have a patch", he's saying "I've
thought hard about this and don't know how to do better, but I
wouldn't be surprised if somebody -- including you -- has a better
way.  Please teach me!"[1]

metacity-geometry-negotiation-was-anything-but-adult-ly y'rs,

Steve

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, I read his post where he explains what he meant, but this is
what I would have said without reading it, I'm pretty sure.