Re: Annoying (frameset bug?): desktop-mode and maxmized frame

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Annoying (frameset bug?): desktop-mode and maxmized frame
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:22:42 +0530

> What I'm saying is that the things frameset.el does are complex

It is easy to get lost in to details and stuff when you are the original
developer of the feature :-).  What I am asking for is simple and
achievable.

I am asking for moving the frame restoration as far ahead as is humanly
possible in the init sequence.

i.e., Restore the frames before the buffers are loaded.

The current observed behaviour tells me that frames are restored *after*
the buffers are loaded which means that re-sizing happens later.

TLDR: (Effectively) Swap the relative order of the following calls in
desktop-read

;; Evaluate desktop buffer and remember when it was modified.
(load (desktop-full-file-name) t t t)

(desktop-restore-frameset)

With around 200 buffers open, the below simple fix to .emacs.desktop
gives me a better "resizing experience".

# See .emacs.desktop

   (setq desktop-saved-frameset blah blah)
+  (desktop-restore-frameset)

   ;; Buffer section -- buffers listed in same order as in buffer list:
   (desktop-create-buffer blah)
   (desktop-create-buffer blah)
   (desktop-create-buffer blah)