fast image paging

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: fast image paging
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:08:47 -0500

Greetings!  I have a djvu mode which is designed for scholars reading,
annotating, and cross-referencing many large documents.  Right now I use
pbm formats and create-image.  This makes it easy to highlight and
correlate pixels with text, but the images can get quite large, making
handling sluggish on slower machines.

Will I improve anything here using a compressed format like png?  Or,
when emacs displays and moves the image, does it decompress the image
anyway into the same sized internal data structure?

Take care,