Re: Fontifying outside of region passed to registered JIT lock function

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fontifying outside of region passed to registered JIT lock function
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:04:47 -0500

> To explain what I'm doing in simpler terms, suppose you have:

>    (a b
>       d)

> The close paren is where the indentation would imply, so there's no
> coloring of parens.

> Suppose you edit the code so as it is now:

>    (a b
>       d)

Right, indeed, jit-lock will probably only refresh the single line that
holds "c".  I see two ways to deal with it:
1- do add the face on the text before the beginning of the region.
   The problem there, is to make sure this face is kept up-to-date later
   on (e.g. removed if you add revert to the previous indentation).
   For that you'll want to add a jit-lock-multiline text-property.
2- Change your highlighting scheme so that the face is placed somewhere
   inside the region.  E.g. highlight the space before "c" instead of
   the open paren: highlighting always the parens makes it sound like
   you assume the indentation is right, whereas the error may
   be in the indentation.  So we can highlight either of them.

-- Stefan