Re: electric-pair-mode

From: Jorgen Schaefer
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:30:46 +0100

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:27:30 -0500
Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm thinking of enabling electric-pair-mode in Emacs-24.4, and I think
> the best way to do that is to actually enable it and then deal with
> the complaints.  But that only works if the complaints are
> sufficiently constructive.
>
> So, please try enabling it and report any annoyance you notice.
> If you just plain don't like the feature, then just disable it.

If this is about electric-PAIR-mode:

Works nicely, except the default `electric-pair-inhibit-predicate'
makes it so that {{ results in "{{_|_}", even though I'd expect
"{{_|_}}".

If this is about electric-INDENT-mode:

The global mode does not work well with ido-mode. When opening a new
buffer or file, you have to use C-j to confirm that you really want to
open a non-existing buffer/file. electric-indent-mode inserts the ^J
verbatim instead of this.

Reproduction:

Enable ido-mode for buffers

C-x b t C-j should create a new buffer named "t". With
electric-indent-mode, it does not confirm, but adds ^J to the buffer
name. RET then opens a buffer named "t^J". (This might also be a
misfeature in ido, not sure).

Regards,
Jorgen