Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:46:55 +0100

() Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
() Tue, 19 Nov 2013 01:02:05 -0500

       WYSIAIG-alike behavior would involve imitating whatever UI
       elements are popular this decade; ribbon?  flat design?

   Does LibreOffice do that?  If not, I guess it isn't really necessary
   for the job.

Right.  I think if we narrow the "the job" down to "Emacs as word
processor interaction pane" (or whatever the prevalent term is for
rectangular screen area for interaction), and omit the menus and other
peripheral control widgets from consideration, we can postulate some
specific features:

- awareness of current-column as a float
  I started working on this in 2002, but got distracted.
  The (small, exploratory) changes were reverted 2011-03-06.

- correspondance between buffer pos and pixel (x,y) coords on screen

- floating (text "flows" around) images, tables, and other "objects"

- automatic pagination

- page-based stats (word-count, etc), margins, "styles"

These would be a good start, i imagine (i don't use word processors,
personally, but know people who do).

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502