Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:02:40 +0100

I think two different problems have been mentioned here. One is Wysiwyg-like features the other the possibility to be compatible with other formats. For me the latter problem is much more crucial. Here is the use case which may illustrate a typical(?) situation:

In academia (humanities branch!) the MS Word format is still the "standard" when you exchange editable documents. More people can handle odt today but not too many. So I heavily depend on the import/export filter LibreOffice offers for Word. I also use Orgmode in Emacs to take notes etc. In theory, I could write all my documents in Orgmode and export them to odt before sending them off. In cases of Word users who do not have import filters for odt (there are still a lot of them) one would have to export into the Word format via LibreOffice.

However, this does not help in the following two cases that are quite common (in short: collaborative work on a document):

1) Someone sends me a odt- or Word-document, that I have to work on, and possibly send it back after having made some corrections etc.

2) I want one of the word-users (or odt-users) to edit my document and send it back to me after which I want to review the changes and make more editing.

Telling people that they should use Emacs is clearly not an option, so even with Emacs possessing some advanced Wysiwyg functionality (which I would love to have) I still would heavily depend on LibreOffice.

Chris