Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Josh
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 07:57:35 -0800

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> - decide on "locking in" users during candidate selection (so more
>>   natural keybindings can be used) or stealing just a few keybindings
>>   temporarily
>
> "just a few" can be many keybindings.  My preference is simply to let
> the user exit that mode "seamlessly" without having to use a special
> exit key-binding.  But that doesn't mean that we should feel restricted
> in which keys can be used in that special mode.

Many people access `previous-history-element' in the minibuffer through
the up arrow, so I hope it is not commandeered for this purpose.  Instead,
what about entering the mode from the minibuffer via C-f and right arrow,
but only when the point is at the minibuffer's point-max (i.e. when
`forward-char' would currently complain "End of buffer")?  Besides being
less disruptive for users than changing the behavior of <Up>, using
C-f/<right> for this purpose has the mnemonic benefit of suggesting
"go beyond what I've typed".  WDYT?