Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:01:45 +0100

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:

>     Would it be okay, for instance, to edit with Emacs in one buffer and
>     have a separate libreoffice window update at the same time?
>
> Maybe it would be.  Is that feasible?

Yes it's feasible. I can have a look, because it could be an interesting
demonstration of the Emacs Xwidget branch as well.

Here is how the similar idea works in Inkmacs(Emacs + Inkskape):

- Write your text in an org-mode file
- Let Emacs start an Inkskape instance
- Emacs communicates with Inkskape using a DBus channel
- Emacs sends dbus commands to update text objects in Inkskape. Inkskape
immediately redraws its display when it receives the dbus commands

I did something like this in nXhtml for editing HTML files, displaying the HTML file in Firefox. It is not useful if you can not get the displaying app to update incrementally, of course. And that was a problem with the interface I used between Emacs and Firefox.