Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 20:53:28 +0200

> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:35:54 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>     - awareness of current-column as a float
>       I started working on this in 2002, but got distracted.
>       The (small, exploratory) changes were reverted 2011-03-06.
>
>     - correspondance between buffer pos and pixel (x,y) coords on screen
>
>     - floating (text "flows" around) images, tables, and other "objects"
>
>     - automatic pagination
>
>     - page-based stats (word-count, etc), margins, "styles"
>
> These seem like important features, I agree.

This one is already supported:

>     - correspondance between buffer pos and pixel (x,y) coords on screen

(Unless I misunderstand what is meant by that.)

However, I don't understand why these features are put forward before
much more basic ones.  As I understand Richard's request, he would
like to do everything we can do in Texinfo, but with WYSIWYG display,
have a capability to export that in several formats, and be able to
print it from Emacs.  Why not start with these modest features?