Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 02:45:42 +0200

>> The bigger problem is in which order to sort completion candidates.
>> When navigating from the minibuffer to the *Completions* buffer
>> `up' should select the first candidate which is more natural to put
>> at the bottom of the *Completions* buffer sorted in reverse order.
>
> We could enter/leave the selection list at the top and do everything
> else exactly like in browser but for the fact that the list is drawn
> above the minibuffer.

To display the minibuffer completions near the minibuffer I tried
this customization:

(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist '("\\*Completions\\*"
display-buffer-at-bottom (nil)))

but it works only in one configuration with two horizontally split windows.
I expected that this action was intended to display the buffer always
above the minibuffer.

OTOH, for in-buffer completions it seems a better action is

(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist '("\\*Completions\\*"
display-buffer-below-selected (nil)))

that could work like `dired-mark-pop-up' to display completions near point
as close to it as possible.  Maybe adding (window-height . fit-window-to-buffer)
will make it better formatted too.  This will imitate overlay-based
auto-completions
by using the standard buffer.