Re: add keyword search and display in details for list-packages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: add keyword search and display in details for list-packages
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:44:39 -0500

>>> I think the Keywords should also be shown in the package description and
>>> maybe available for filtering, WDYT?
XF> I agree.  Showing the dependencies would be useful, too.

Adding dependencies in the package description sounds good, indeed.

> OK.  Any objections to:
> * adding filtering by Keywords in the packages list?

OK.

> * showing the Keywords in the packages list?

Not sure how you plan to do that.

> * showing the Keywords in the package description?

OK.

> ;; - should store the package's keywords in archive-contents, then
> ;;   let the users filter the package-menu by keyword.  See
> ;;   finder-by-keyword.
> so it seems this will require backend work by the GNU ELPA tools to put
> the Keywords in the package description.  Stefan, WDYT?

If you want to filter by keywords, I see 3 options:
- add keywords in archive-contents.
- let package.el download all packages to extract keywords from them.
- use a separate file alongside archive-contents.
Option 2 is only included for completeness since it makes little sense.

Option 1 probably makes most sense.

Option 3 could make sense if filtering by keyword is rare and if the
size of the keywords data is significantly larger than the size of
archive-contents.

IOW, option 1 sounds best.

> Finally, in addition to the Keywords, is there a package category,
> meaning a single word to describe its purpose?

No, and I don't think we'll ever be able to categorize this way.

> It might be more suitable for display in the packages list and could
> let us set up a hierarchy in the packages list to avoid the current
> "2500+ entries in a flat list" situation.

We could just as well browse by keywords.

        Stefan