Re: Moving octave-mode manual from GNU Octave to GNU Emacs.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Moving octave-mode manual from GNU Octave to GNU Emacs.
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:53:20 -0500

Rüdiger Sonderfeld wrote:

> (Since he is the original author of octave-mode, I assume he has already
> signed the fsf papers.)

You can't assume this, because it often seems to have happened in the
past that people assigned specific things rather than doing a blanket
assignment for "Emacs" (which would still only cover things they
explicitly wanted to contribute). And indeed the relevant entry in the
copyright.list file only says "Assigns octave.el and future changes.".
Does this include any associated manual? I dunno. It probably does, but
to be safe, I would suggest you ask address@hidden for a definitive answer.
(Eg it seems slightly odd that the manual isn't in Emacs until now.)

> it only seems to contain minor changes from
>
> * John W. Eaton (has signed the fsf papers for Emacs)
> * Rik <address@hidden>
> * Rafael Laboissiere  <address@hidden>

Sounds like only the last two are potentially an issue.
(Though same comment as above for the first one.)
If "minor changes" means "less than ~ 15 lines worth of text from each
author remains in the latest version of the file", then there's no issue
here.

(Thanks for working on this, it definitely sounds like a good thing.)