Re: Add the archive name column in the list-packages table

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Add the archive name column in the list-packages table
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 14:02:09 -0500

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 23:28:43 +0530 Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

JK> The description is pushed to the last column which means that it is
JK> truncated.  Additional details can go as part of tool tip.  The tool-tip
JK> is per-table cell.  May be it should be per-table row (at least in this
JK> case)

Consider me completely opposed to tooltips.  They require hovering,
don't work in a terminal, and are hard to read.

JK> Visual feedback need not mean icons.  It could be color coding.

JK> The *entire* table-row can be highlighted in green if it available etc.
JK> (I see that unsigned packages are highlighted in with foreground red.)

(`M-x list-packages' already has some color coding.)

That's an interesting idea, but it doesn't work in all terminals and
it's hard to read, especially for color-blind people.  Remember, this is
*the* way to install packages, so all users have to use it.  It's not an
optional package so the default UI has to be very conservative.

Also user-specific default faces and themes may conflict.  For instance
I already use green on black for regular text.

Maybe the shortened status ("avl" for available or whatever) can be
color-coded, bur the whole row is IMO too much.

>> I think in general Emacs should use icons more, but with care.  See
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/137682 for a proposal
>> (iconset.el) I still intend to pursue, though it's not high on my TODO
>> list due to other priorities.

JK> It would be nice if Emacs is less verbal and more visual.

That's pretty vague.  Maybe you'd like to start a new thread with
specific suggestions.

Ted