Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 01:54:30 -0500

        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    To be frank, I think your goals for this feature are incoherent.  You
    say you want non-Emacs users to use Emacs, then you turn around and
    deprecate exactly those features of this project (Word file-format
    compatibility, *Office-alike UI).

I think you misunderstood what I said.

I said that people should not send Word files.  That is a different
question from whether we should handle that format.  I think we should.

What I said about the UI is that surely it would not be so similar
that people would get confused.  To make them similar would be a
tremendous additional job.

I don't think we need to do that.  People can adapt to different UI
details.  (It would be a much smaller adaptation than adapting to
today's Emacs.)  However, people could eventually work on that if they
want to.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation